North Colorado Midwifery’s home birth services include all prenatal care, including ordering lab work and ultrasound scans, birth support and care, postpartum care for mom and baby, and expert breastfeeding assistance.
Lynnette Chambers, RM LM CPM, of North Colorado Midwifery is available for home births all over the front range including both Colorado and Wyoming. The office is in Greeley.
Home birth midwifery care
- What makes home birth midwifery care different? Time! Prenatal visits last about an hour, and that is not time spent in the waiting room. By the time baby’s birth day comes along, we will have spent over 10 hours together talking about your needs, your birth, and your baby. Bring the kids, they are welcome, too.
- Orientation to midwifery care is the focus of the first prenatal visit. We will go over your medical history, order or draw the prenatal labs, do a baseline physical exam, talk about nutrition, and answer questions.
- After the initial visit we meet monthly until 28 weeks. For the third trimester, we start out with appointments every 2 weeks until your home visit at 36 weeks. At the home visit you will meet the birth team, I will bring your birth kit, and we inspect your other birth supplies that have been gathered. We also spend some time talking about getting ready for your birth. I like to do the prenatal home visit when dad will be there if he hasn’t been able to come to prenatal visits. After the home visit, prenatal visits continue weekly at the office to keep track of mom’s and baby’s well-being.
- After the baby is born, the birth team will stay with you for 2-4 hours to be sure all is well. I personalize the postpartum visits to your needs, but will come to you about 3 times in the first two weeks. We do the newborn metabolic screen (PKU) and the critical congenital heart defect screening on day 2 in your home.
This is the kind of service and care you can expect for your birth:
Full informed consent about tests and procedures.
Electronic medical records with full access by you, the client. Maternity Neighborhood
Telephone availability with the midwife when you need it.
Birth preparation, lending library, referrals to classes and additional support. Maternity Neighborhood provides a very large library of resources.
At least one well trained assistant, student, or another midwife at your birth.
Oxygen and resuscitation equipment (and training).
TENS unit for minor pain relief.
Waterbirth is available, the pool is to be acquired by you, some accessory supplies can be supplied by NCM.
Miscellaneous supplies, herbs, and my experience and knowledge!
I provide your birth kit- these are the birth specific supplies that are used only for your birth.
Help with insurance billing if feasible.
Payment plans accepted.
Filing of the birth certificate to the state.
A personal keepsake birth certificate with foot prints.
Lactation expertise provided by the birth team.
Childbirth preparation classes, especially focusing on achieving a natural birth with any provider- home or hospital birth.
- Birth classes are available at an additional fee. I know many educators of differing teaching styles to suit your needs.
Expert breastfeeding assistance.
- This is included if you are a client for home birth or doula services. If you are not a current client, then lactation help can be provided. Please call for a consultation and needs assessment.
Doula labor support
- For those who are planning a hospital birth, doula labor support is available. If you are considered high risk, having a midwife as your doula can be very beneficial. Please call me to find out about availability.